Teeth Whitening at arrowhead dental
Your teeth perform some essential functions. They allow you to bite and chew food. They help you to speak properly. They are also important for the health of your jawbone. Another important job of your teeth is to provide you with a beautiful, confident smile. When you smile, your teeth are the first things that others see. Dull, discolored teeth can affect your confidence and the first impressions that you make. At Arrowhead Dental, we can help to restore the natural bright, white beauty to your teeth with teeth whitening.
How Do Teeth Get Discolored in the First Place?
The enamel of your teeth is naturally bright white in color. While heavily mineralized and very strong, tiny microfractures form on the surface over time, making it easier for the teeth to capture pigments, stains, and other debris, all of which can dull the color of your smile. Factors that contribute to discoloration include:
• What you eat and drink. Certain types of foods and drinks have dark pigments, which can easily stain the surfaces of your teeth.
• Tobacco products. Cigarettes and other tobacco products contain numerous chemicals, two of which are responsible for staining. Tar is naturally dark in color, while nicotine is clear until it comes into contact with oxygen, which turns it yellow.
• Medications. Certain types of medications can cause deep-set stains on your teeth.
• Age. As you get older, your enamel naturally thins, revealing the dentin underneath.
Why Not Just Use the Counter Products?
You have probably seen countless over the counter whitening products ranging from strips and gels to toothpaste and pens. All of these products promise amazing results in just a short period, all at an affordable cost. While they may not cost very much, the whitening agents that these products contain is very small. As a result, it can take multiple uses over a long period to even see minor results. If your teeth have deeper stains, your best option is professional treatment.
Giving You Back Your Smile with Professional Whitening
There are two types of professional whitening that whiten your teeth several shades in as little as one treatment. Your first option is chairside whitening. This type of whitening is done in our office, and it takes only about an hour of your time. After your teeth are cleaned, a bleaching agent is applied to the surfaces of your teeth. The active ingredient breaks down, forming tiny oxygen bubbles which attach to and bleach away stubborn stains. A light is shone over your mouth, which helps to enhance the results. With just one treatment, your teeth can be made several shades whiter, and results are noticeable immediately.
The other type of professional whitening is known as take-home trays. With this type of whitening, you can brighten your smile within the comfort of your own home on your own time. We supply you with custom-made trays and the bleaching agent. Trays are made to be worn for several hours twice a day, or overnight while you are sleeping. The exact length of your treatment will vary based on your teeth and your goals, but take-home trays can whiten your teeth multiple shades with results beginning to be noticeable in about a week.
Keeping Your Smile Bright
Professional teeth whitening can remove stubborn stains from your teeth, but it is not a permanent solution. It is important to take care of your teeth to prevent new stains from occurring.
• Limit foods and drinks that stain.
• Drink plenty of water.
• Drink through a straw. This helps liquids to bypass your teeth.
• Quit any tobacco products you are currently using.
• Maintain a good oral hygiene routine.
• Have your teeth periodically touched up.
If dull, discolored teeth have you hiding your smile, teeth whitening may be able to help. Call Arrowhead Dental to schedule your consultation today at 307-789-5210